Sunday 19 June 2011

I Like Vouchers!

Or - how to spend a day out shopping without actually spending anything.

Every so often, I'm sent a survey to fill in, showing everything I eat for a two week period. It's one of those consumer things to see where people shop, and which brands they buy and so on. For doing this, I get sent vouchers I can use in various high street shops. Since none of those shops are in Hay, this means a day out in Hereford, which is what I did yesterday.
I think I did rather well. I managed to find 8 pairs of coloured tights at New Look - you can get black everywhere, which is okay but boring. These are plum and purple and cream and grey.
Tie Rack is having a sale, and they had some lovely pashminas in a silk/wool blend that had been £29.99. Now they were in the sale, and 3 for the price of 2 - so with the vouchers I got three pashminas that should have been £90.00 (all but thruppence) for the grand total of 45 pence in cash!
I didn't only have shopping vouchers. When I joined CAMRA this year I was sent vouchers that give 50p off a pint of beer from Wetherspoons, so I went there for lunch. I normally drink halves, but this voucher was only for pints, so I wanted to choose something I knew I'd like. Marstons Old Empire was very nice indeed, though a bit strong for me at lunch time at 5.7%. Still, it went rather nicely with the sweet chilli noodles, which I first tried when my young man came to visit last time.
And they were doing a special offer with the food, so I got the meal for £1 off, too!
I did spend some real money - I wanted the new Fleet Foxes CD, Helplessness Blues, and by that time I'd run out of vouchers, but all in all, it was a very successful day!

No comments: