Sunday 5 June 2011

Last Day of the Festival

...and it's drizzling again.
Yesterday I went round some of the exhibitions I'd missed first time round. At St John's Aneirin and Meibion Jones (hope I've got the spelling right) have some luminous pictures that make even an old man sitting alone with his pint look beautiful.
Too late for the posters was Sally Matthews, with some pictures of animals and three statues of dogs. I love Sally Matthews' work. A few years ago, she exhibited at the Globe Gallery, when it was under different ownership. We went into the exhibition through the cellars, and as we climbed the stairs, we said "What are Jenny's deerhounds doing in here?.....Hang on, they're not moving!"
My neighbour did a car boot stall outside her house, and I joined her for a bit - the time being enlivened by a low flying pigeon! A pigeon and a dove have set up home over the porch next door, and they have absolutely no fear. One of them, collecting sticks for the nest by the horse trough, actually skimmed Pam's head on the way back to the nest!
I was invited down to Tinto House by Tim the Gardener, who was holding a "Tinto Fringe Festival" - otherwise known as an excuse to drink white wine in the garden. By the time I'd packed up my stuff, they'd been rained off, though, and were heading towards the Globe to regroup somewhere drier.
George the Town Crier was out in his finery - he said he thought the women went for his white socks! He was publicising events in the Buttermarket. I went up there for a bit in the morning, and saw Jane Meredith, who teaches dyeing, spinning and weaving in her garden by the River Wye - her website is www.plantdyedwool.co.uk, and she comes under the umbrella group Creative Breaks, who are at www.creativebreaks.co.uk
Later, I passed by as Bandemonium were playing to an appreciative audience.
Today I was busy in the shop again, and as I came home, I passed stallholders in the Castle Grounds packing up their stuff.

No comments: