Monday 5 September 2011

Frivolous Things

I should be saving up my pennies for the new tooth that I'm getting from the dentist - which is why I embarked on some 'retail therapy' this weekend.
There was this corset in the window of the Red Cross shop. It's black lace/embroidery with little brass studs, perfect for a Steampunk outfit*. It's also a size 8. I have never been a size 8, even in my skinniest times. However, it was also too good a bargain to miss. I decided that no-one had to see the back - it'll be covered with a military style black jacket, while the corset is held together with elastic! Which works pretty well, over a black pullover (I'm not showing off that much flesh, even for a costume!). If I wear it with a dark red long skirt and my high heeled lace up shoes, it should look pretty good.
And then there's the vortex manipulator. Got to have the brass and leather based 'technology' to go with it. So I got a rather nice archery arm guard from Merlin Archery. Then I needed to fake some buttons to press, so I can use it to teleport. Bedecked on Castle Street came up with just the thing, some sparkly braid that I cut up small and surrounded by brass washers from Jones Hardware, all jazzed up with some brass bits from picture hanging, and some picture wire.
So now I'm ready for the absinthe party that my young man is planning when he comes down to visit next.
I also found myself inside the Antique Market this weekend, and there was this Victorian nightdress....I'd lifted it down from the hook before I'd even thought about it - beyond the instant reaction of "Mine!" I'm going to wear it as a summer dress, with a coloured sash.
(and, yes, I am weird - why do you ask?)

*Steampunk is what the Victorian era would have been like if the works of Jules Verne and HG Wells had been factual!

No comments: