Friday 30 September 2011

Influential Book People

The Guardian and Observer have brought out a list of the top 100 most influential people in the book world - it's on their website for Friday 23rd September, but I only came across it the other day when I was footling about on the computer.
Our own Peter Florence comes in at number 51, for the Hay Festival, and here are some of the other people on the list that I found interesting:
At Number One, is the founder of Amazon
Number Two - JK Rowling
Number Three - the CEO of Google
Jamie Oliver at number 8 (he's sold a lot of cookery books....)
the bookbuyers for Tesco's at 12
Jacqueline Wilson at 17 (a frequent visitor to Hay)
"the ghost of Stieg Larssen" at 18 (I think this is the only dead person on the list)
Carol Ann Duffy is the top poet at 21
Terry Pratchett at 28
Julia Donaldson, children's laureate and creator of the Gruffalo at 32
Philip Pullman at 38
Salman Rushdie at 45
Richard and Judy at 49 (for their TV book club)
Stephen Fry at 59
Richard Dawkins at 60
Dan Brown at 64
Jeremy Hunt the Culture Secretary at 72
Neil Gaiman (one of my favourite authors, along with Terry Pratchett) at 81
Simon Schama the historian at 91
Alan Moore the graphic novelist (he wrote the originals of V for Vendetta and Watchmen, among other films he has disowned for deviating from his original vision) at 96
and finally, at 100 "you, the reader...." without whom all these authors, publishers and others would all be talking to themselves.

1 comment:

Booklover said...

I'm happy and proud to say that Stephen Fry, Richard Dawkins, Dan Brown, Jeremy Hunt (Hunt, I said), and Simon Schama have had no influence whatsoever on me or the books that I read.