Wednesday 14 September 2011

Such a Lot going on!

I'm feeling rushed off my feet already! The summer holidays may be over, but there are still plenty of events going on around Hay.
I missed Open Mic this week because I was busy - I've been asked to do an "in depth critique" of a novel manuscript before the author sends it off to agents and publishers. She chose me because of my background in archaeology, so she particularly wants comments on the historical accuracy of the story. It's quite a responsibility! I know how I feel when my work is criticised.
Tomorrow is Fang Day! I get the new tooth from the dentist (and part with large amounts of cash!).
It's also Stitch and Bitch evening at the Swan - that jumper might possibly be finished before Christmas....
On Saturday, it's the Car Boot sale at the school.
The following weekend it's the Film Festival. If I have any money left, I really want to go to the traditional Saturday Matinee showing of The Thief of Bagdad, with Sabu - and an ice cream break. They're showing English and Welsh films around Hay - long films, short films, silent films, films by students, documentaries - something for everyone!
And over the weekend of 7th, 8th and 9th October (which isn't that far away now), Hay is playing host to its first Walking Festival, with 32 guided walks and events around Hay (only some of them allowing dogs), including three runs with the Hay Hotfooters and map reading sessions. There's such a variety in this area - we have Kilvert, of course, so one of the walks is following in our famous diarist's footsteps. Then there are ancient churches and Llantony Priory, interesting geology, archaeology on the Begwns, star gazing at Gospel Pass, and amazing views. They've even organised some walks to include public transport, for those of us without cars. A polar explorer called Felicity Aston will be speaking, as well as Alan Ward, who has led expeditions in Nepal and Tanzania among other places. There'll even be a Welsh Ceilidh at the Globe (though I think the name for it should be Noson Lawen, myself), and a pub quiz at Kilverts.
I'm rather looking forward to this one. More information can be found at www.haywalkingfestival.co.uk

No comments: