Wednesday 21 March 2012

Flowers for the Trees

The Castle grounds are looking a bit barer now (quite a lot barer, in fact), as several trees have come down and are being chopped up.
Round near the gate on Oxford Street, someone has left a bunch of flowers - and when I passed over the weekend, there were some potted plants there - with the chalked message "for the trees".
I think quite a few people around town are sad to see them go (and I did hear someone query whether the jackdaws had been given a proper eviction order!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's nice to be able to see the castle

Anonymous said...

The trees that have been cut down were either diseased or dangerous, and those trees that overlook the town square have had a temporary stay of execution because of jackdaw eggs in the nests.

Anonymous said...

I felt sorry for the bunch of daffs that someone left 'for the trees'. I was thinking of leaving a bunch of primroses 'for the daffs'. and then I thought, well, I'd have to leave a bunch of violets 'for the primroses'. And then I thought, well, I'd have to leave a bunch of roses 'for the violets'. And then I thought . . .