Sunday 18 March 2012

Going Greek in Hereford

I went into Hereford to meet my Young Man off the train last week. We had a while to wait for the bus, and he'd had an early start, so we decided to catch a later bus and treat ourselves to lunch in Hereford.
The Lichfield Vaults is a pub about half way along the alleyway between the Cathedral and the big square in the middle of town. It does good real ale, including Adnams Broadside (I started drinking real ale in Norwich, so one of the first really good beers I ever tried was Broadside). It also does very good Greek food.
We ordered a mezze between us - which means a lot of little dishes to taste. It's something I used to enjoy when I lived on Kos, and it was lovely to sit in the sun in the yard at the back of the pub, with blue sky above and the seagulls crying on the chimney pots - not quite like being on the beach front just outside Kardamena, with the lights of Turkey twinkling across three miles of Mediterranean sea, but as close as you can get in Hereford in March!

No comments: