Sunday 22 April 2012

Hay Castle

I have a request from Elizabeth Haycox, for the Hay Castle Trust. They are looking for old photos of the Castle that they can use to give them ideas about how to improve the Castle for the future. It might be of an event that took place there, or just a view of the castle (from any angle!). They already have an article from Country Life (I think it was) in 1914 showing the (rather boring) rose garden, but anything would be welcome, and can be dropped off at Booth Books.
Meanwhile in the Honesty Gardens, the new shelves are starting to take shape - they are using local craftsmen (instead of scrounging tatty old shelves from libraries that were closing down, like Richard did) and the canopy over the top will be wide enough to keep the books dry, and to shelter browsers, even if they're in a wheelchair (if the wheelchair can make it through the gate).

The Cinema at Booths Books is almost ready, too - it should be opening on 25th May, just before the Festival.

2 comments:

Eric Pugh said...

I have loads of old photographs of Hay castle. A lot of them can be seen on my website at www.oldhay.co.uk
If Mrs. Haycox gets in touch with me I can help her.

Anonymous said...

Hello! What's this? Do I detect a transition-townie with an aesthetic stance against recycling?

I think we should be told!

P.H.