Tuesday 24 April 2012

World Book Night

This is a rather wonderful idea!
I was in the Swan last night for a Fairtrade meeting, and part way through a man with a rucksack appeared.
He was giving out free books for World Book Night! The idea is that there is a list of about 25 books, and the person who wants to take part chooses one title to share with as many people as possible. This chap had given out about 20 books before he got to us, and was going on to give out more. He said that he had been in the army, and had only started reading books again quite recently - but now he was doing a degree in English Literature! The book he'd chosen, that blew him away when he read it, was Small Island, by Andrea Levy, which is about black immigrants to Britain around the time of the Windrush. Jo had read it, and agreed that it was wonderful, so Julia decided to take a copy and pass it on to me. One copy he's given out will be going from Kilvert's to Norfolk shortly. Each book has a serial number in the front, which they ask you to enter into the website to show how far the book has travelled, and how many people have read it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the term is afro-caribbean NOT BLACK , I personally do not know any white person or black or yellow or whatever..please apologise for your racist ignorance

Eigon said...

Calling a person black is not racist - considering a person to be inferior because of the colour of their skin, however, is racist. I'm not considering anyone to be inferior.

Anonymous said...

I'm from South Africa and I'm most definitely black. I'm sure as hell not Afro Caribbean! And I have a lot of white friends. I think you owe Eigon an apology.

Eigon said...

Thank you!