Saturday 9 June 2012

...and then the Sun Comes Out!

I've been having a very pleasant day.
It's International Knitting in Public Week, and Yarn Bombing Day, so a group of the Stitch and Bitch ladies decided to go up to the Globe to chill out and knit - or crochet or, in my case, lucet.
I met Emanation on the way up, and when we got to the field beside the Globe we met David and Annette and their friend Chris. Annette was waiting for her spot on the stage in the Chai tent as one of the performance poets, accompanied by Chris on guitar. David had brought his didgeridoo with him, but while Emanation was demonstrating her skill at circular breathing, one of the stewards came across and asked us to keep the noise down, because there was a talk about Steven Hawking and Quantum Physics going on in the next tent!
I got chatting to a chap who wanted to know what lucetting was (it's a medieval craft that makes cords, with a very simple fork shaped tool) because he thought he'd like to have a go, and it looked less complicated than knitting.
Then we found out that the rest of the gang had been in the chai tent all along - we just hadn't got that far.
Tracy told me that the Phil Rickman talk at the Festival had been very good - he was interviewed by Peter Florence this year, and the paranormal aspects of the writing seemed to boggle Peter's mind somewhat - and that was before the woman vicar was invited up on stage by Phil to tell the true story of the "Psycho shower incident" where she had been called in afterwards to bless the house.
It was a very pleasant afternoon, with performers coming and going behind us - a very good woman singer, accompanied by a man on a flute, and another poet who claimed to have written his own stuff - but the first poem he recited was "I am my own Grandpa" which I remember Jim Dale performing (with a family tree on a blackboard) on Sunday Night at the London Palladium! The rest of the poems probably were his own.
We all went our separate ways after a while, and I went back home, where my neighbours had set up a table sale between them at the front of the houses. I joined them with a few bits and some book art, and actually sold quite a bit! I also bought quite a bit from Julie and Pam, and Julie very generously gave me some of her stuff as a thank you for letting her use the space outside my house. So I now have a very nice blanketty wrap with a knitted collar, which everyone agreed was very me.

No comments: