Sunday 3 June 2012

Cinema Confusion

When I arrived at work today, I had to tell three separate families that, no, this was not the Cinema where the film was being shown - this was the Cinema Bookshop, even before I'd put the lights on!
I gave them all maps, and sent them down to the new cinema behind Booths Books, but there was a steady trickle of confused people throughout the day, including one speaker at the Festival (she was carrying a long stemmed white rose - it's a dead give away)*, and a couple of Friends of the Festival.

Before I got to work, I was down at the Parish Hall, dropping off the Fairtrade banner, and the board of photos of the Fairtrade community picnic that we had last year. There's going to be another one this year, on 8th July, up at the Hayfield Gardens.
When I finally got away from work, I was too late to pick the banner up again - everyone had gone home.

On the way out of work, I stopped to look at the fence. Someone had come into the shop during the day to ask about the Zeitgeist Movement, and what the signs along the fence meant. I hadn't seen them, but it seems that we have been Occupied! One of the signs belongs to Occupy Birmingham, and they're all asking questions about the way we live, and debt, and health care - and "Why can't West Brom win the League?".


And, of course, it rained dismally all day.

* At the end of every talk at the Festival, the guest speakers are presented with a long stemmed white rose. The Globe has taken up this idea, but they present their speakers with a sunflower.

No comments: