Saturday 11 August 2012

Bargains Galore

It was obviously a mistake to take my shopping trolley down to the car boot sale - my excuse was that I needed to take my bottles to the recycling bank at the bottom of the car park, and I may as well combine the two trips.
I was looking for the people who sold me the little pan last time, because it's such a good one that I wanted to get any others they had left. That started to fill up the trolley, and I now have a set of large, medium and small pans with glass lids sitting on my kitchen shelf.
Then I saw an earthenware jar with a wide neck - these are perfect for building basic shelves out of planks of wood, and I bought it to replace one of the lengths of cardboard tube that came from the middle of a carpet roll. It looks much more stylish now!
There was a cute dog waiting for her ball to be thrown at one end of the stalls - so I threw it for her, turned round - and there was a butter dish. I've been looking for one since I dropped my last one, which came from a small pottery, and had "butter" on one side and "menyn" on the other. This one is plain brown, but will do very nicely.
And how could I resist the pair of silver goblets at £2 each? I'm getting a very nice collection of silver and pewter goblets and tankards together.
I did look for the man with the cavalry sabre - he was there, but the sword wasn't, so I assume it has gone to someone who will appreciate it.

On the way back, I stopped at the Buttermarket, where there were stalls raising money for Bryngwyn Church. It wasn't an ordinary bring and buy sale - there were traders there selling wooden toys, and everything you need to make fancy cup cakes - and some lovely scarves (I had three of those in summery colours). Sally Matthews was there, too, selling some of her smaller prints and some postcards of her sculptures. These are truly amazing works of art - have a look here:
www.sallymatthews.co.uk
Recently, one of her life sized ponies was in Lion Street Gallery (and it was quite a tight squeeze!), and more of her work was around Hay for the Festival.

No comments: