Sunday 30 June 2013

Food Fair and School Fete

It's a sad thing to walk round a Food Fair when you have no appetite - all those tempting things that don't tempt you at all.
I was just getting over a stinky cold, so apart from trying not to breathe on the cakes, I really had very little interest in eating.
However, I did manage to treat myself to some of Trealy Farm's cured meats - I haven't tried the venison one before, but I often treat myself to the ham and beef from the butcher's on Broad Street. I also got three bottles of Jacobi beer - light golden, original brown bitter and dark roasted. I usually get some of their beer at the Food Fairs because I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere else.
There was music, too - I passed by twice, and heard the Builth Wells Ladies Choir and the Brecon Town Concert Band.


I missed the parade of children in storybook costumes for the school fete, but when I went down to the school there were a few girls in 'uniform' with St Trinian's badges. I'm glad to see that the young people of today still remember the fine old traditions of British girls' boarding schools!

I held an owl. (Happy, smiley face!)
There was a chap with some birds of prey over on the grass, and he was allowing people to put on a gauntlet and hold his owl. Strangely, although I've been to re-enactments and country shows over the years and chatted to falconers, I've never done that before.

There was also a climbing wall that came on the back of a trailer, and a display of miniature gardens that the children had made. One little boy seemed to think that an essential part of a miniature garden was a volcano (with paper flames coming out of it!) and dinosaurs!
The plans for the new school were also on display. It's going to be quite big, and on two levels, but I didn't really know what to look for to say whether it was a good plan or a bad plan.

No comments: