Friday 19 July 2013

Hot Day in Hereford

I had a few errands to run in Hereford, and there was a garden festival going on in the main square when I wandered through.


There were plant stalls, and Friends of the Earth and the local wildlife trust, and it was all very pleasant.

While I was there I popped into the Old House - while I still can. It's under threat of closure by the County Council, along with all the other museums run by the Council in Herefordshire. Apparently, though, they may have a problem if they want to close the Old House down. The last time the building was used for a commercial purpose, it was owned by Lloyds Bank, and when Lloyds moved to other premises, they gave the building to the Council in trust, to be used as a museum. This means the Council can't sell it, and can't use it for any other purpose....
The chap I was chatting to also told me that it was the City Council that organises things like the garden festival and the History Day that I was involved in the other weekend. "Not a lot of people realise we've got a City Council as well," he said.
Meanwhile the fourteen lime trees by the roundabout, where the new shopping centre is being built, are still there - the Highways Agency wants to cut them down, though doing so wouldn't improve traffic flow or have any other benefits I can see, and removing them takes away even more greenery from a town centre that is fairly treeless already. Last night about 50 people turned up to hug the trees and protest about it, and the BBC were there to film a report about it.
I would have gone into the Library to see the exhibition on River Life they have on at the moment, but I ran out of time.

No comments: