Monday 28 May 2018

More Festival Happenings

The Handmaids were, indeed, heading for Margaret Atwood's talk at the Festival site, after walking all around Hay.
I had some time in the middle of the day to go into Booth's Bookshop, to have a look at the Jackie Morris exhibition (at the entrance to the cafĂ©), and I'm sure the ones at the top of the stairs on the first floor were by local artist Jean Miller. There was a Jackie Morris print of a hare and fox sitting together that I think was my favourite of the ones there (though the swooping barn owl on a gold background was gorgeous, too). They were all a bit out of my price range - the originals ranged between £1,000 and £4,000 - but at least I have the set of cards of art from The Lost Words, which I've been displaying round my bedroom.
Later, I chatted to a young man who had his face painted and decorated with stick on gems in purples and blues. There's been a young lady outside the Hour Glass Gallery with a table over the weekend. If I said she was doing face painting, that usually suggests children painted as tigers or butterflies, but what she does is far more intricate and beautiful. The young man had the make-up done for partying down at the How The Light Gets In Festival later in the evening. He'd been stewarding there over the weekend, and had really enjoyed the experience.
Another couple I chatted to said they'd had a wonderful time over the weekend, but were a bit confused - they thought How The Light Gets In was the same as the Hay Festival, rather than two separate events.
I also stopped to chat to the lady at the Herefordshire Wildlife Trust stall in the Cheese Market. They'd brought along a lot of animal skulls, most of which I could recognise, but there was one big one that stumped me - it turned out to be a grey seal.
The lady said she'd been coming to Hay since 1981, and said she always looked up at the Castle and noticed the big cracks in the stone work, so she was glad it's being renovated now. She said: "Please don't say it's going to be a wedding venue!" I had to admit that weddings had been held there - but there are plans for lots of different things too.


No comments: