Sunday 20 May 2018

Swan Well

I was asked today where the "wild spring" was in Hay, so I sent them to find the Swan Well, which is tucked away behind the almshouses beyond the Swan Hotel on the way out of Hay, on the Brecon Road.
By coincidence, I'd taken advantage of the beautiful weather yesterday to do a circular walk. I started off along the riverside walk, as far as the church, and at the top of the path, it occurred to me that I hadn't been past the Swan Well for a while, so I took that path, and took a photo:


Before piped water to every home, this was one of the public wells in Hay.

From there, I took the path by the side of the cemetery, up to Hay Common. It's up a steep gully, with several little bridges over the stream, and in dappled shade from the trees overhanging it. At the top it opens out into a wide meadow - and from one side there was a good view over the Hay Festival site, with all the tents up, dazzling white.
Going down again, I cut through the cemetery, and took this photo of the military graves near the entrance, most of them Italian and German prisoners of war, who died at the end of the Second World War, at the Military Hospital in Talgarth:


Then I took the path from Forest Road round the back of the school, and came out on the fair at the bottom of the car park, and then home.

No comments: