Monday 1 October 2018

A Walk up Cusop Dingle

Some time ago, I was at a Cusop History Group meeting where a few of the members said they were going to be cutting back the trees around the lime kiln up Cusop Dingle. I rarely go up the Dingle any more, so this was a good excuse for a long walk.
I chose a lovely September afternoon, so warm that I took my coat off, and the leaves were just changing colour on the trees.
The Dingle gradually gets wilder and wilder as you go further up, though it's a fairly gentle gradient beside the Dulas Brook.
The end of the paved road goes past Brickyard Cottage, and then becomes a track across a field (with some curious cows and sheep in it). Gravel has been put down, which makes it look like a private driveway, but this is the pathway to get further up the Dingle.
This was the best photo I could manage of the lime kiln - I wasn't about to go scrambling about in the undergrowth, so I took it where the path rises to go past the top of the lime kiln:


Around the front it looks fairly well preserved, but the top had several quite sizable trees growing out of it, which have now been cut down to stumps. The hole in the top of the lime kiln has a mixture of branches and wire fencing on top to stop the unwary from falling down it.

On the way back down the Dingle, I stopped at a friend's house for tea (I'd been invited when their car passed me on the way up). They told me that most of the bedrock of the Dingle is sandstone (which I already knew - my ex-husband studied geology), but that there's a thin layer of limestone at a certain height up the hill, just about where this lime kiln, and several others in the area, are found. The lime may have been used in the nearby brick works, or spread on fields. The brick works didn't last very long - my friend said they had some of the bricks made there, and they were rubbish!

No comments: