Tuesday 29 January 2019

County Council Cuts

I was in quite a good mood this lunchtime.
I popped into the Red Cross Shop to buy a giant pair of knitting needles - I'm going to attempt to knit up some lucetted cord into a bedside rug. When I was still doing historical re-enactment I made lots of cord on my lucet around the campfire, but didn't have anything to do with it afterwards.


(Something like this).

Then I had a look at Facebook while I was eating lunch - and the first thing I saw was a post from Gareth Ratcliffe about this year's round of cuts by Powys County Council.
They need to save £14 million this year - and they seem to be going about it by targeting the most vulnerable in society.
One of the things they want to do is to cut all Breakfast Clubs in primary schools from 1st April. Not only do the Breakfast Clubs feed the children; they also provide essential child care for working parents.
At the same time they want to cut the provision for three and four year olds from twelve and a half hours a week to ten hours a week.

Meanwhile, there's a renewed threat to Hay Library - they want to save £200,000 from the Library budget, and one of the ways to do that will be to shut ten small libraries across Powys. The portfolio holder for libraries will be visiting Hay Library at 10am on Monday 4th February - so I hope someone will be there to challenge the cuts.

There will be a HOWLS meeting at the school on Wednesday 20th February at 7pm to discuss what to do about this, and another meeting the previous Wednesday (13th February) to talk about the other cuts to services - I'll post the time for that as soon as I'm sure of it.

No comments: