Saturday 29 July 2023

Jumble Sale in the Buttermarket

 Several local charities have stalls in the Buttermarket today.  Dial-a-Ride is selling plants, the Hay Theatre Group has a tombola, and other groups have a variety of knick nacks and clothes and so on.

The Keith Leighton Fund had the biggest collection of Hay-on-Wye souvenir items that I have ever seen!  Apparently they came from the collection of Neil Field (sadly missed).  There were little spoons, jugs and tea pots and mugs and plates and coasters, some with traditional Welsh ladies on them, others with the castle or views of Hay.  I bought these:



The letter opener and the spoon have a crest on them, of the castle, a plough and a scythe on a pale blue background and three emblems I can't quite make out on a red background.

I didn't notice the name of the group running the next stall I stopped at, because I was too busy looking at the sword:


 It's too bright to see, but the motto "The pen is mightier than the sword" is engraved along the blade.  It's purely ornamental - it's not a sharp blade, and it's obviously been in someone's shed for a long time, but it'll look fine after a bit of cleaning up.  A bargain for £5!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog each day to keep in touch with Hay as I live a few miles out. Could I comment that for me it would be good to know of events prior to them happening. Could you either give advance warning or give out a good place to check. Thank you

Eigon said...

Sometimes I do mention events in advance, and sometimes I don't have a chance to mention it, or I only come across the event when it's actually happening, as was the case with the jumble sale. I hadn't seen any advertising for the jumble sale, even on the Facebook community page, which normally has mentions of most things going on in Hay.