Tuesday 11 July 2023

Ticket Offices at Railway Stations

 There's a lot of concern at the moment about the news that ticket offices at railway stations are about to be closed across England.  A lot of this concern comes from disabled groups - it's already difficult for people who use wheelchairs, or are blind, to travel, since they often need assistance at stations, and where are they going to find staff if the ticket office is closed? 

Transport for Wales have said that they do not plan to close any ticket offices, which is a relief to me, because they are responsible for Hereford Station.  I always buy my tickets at the ticket office - it's easier for me than buying tickets online, and I usually get a better deal, and better advice on routes, than I would online, too.  

I've also been on journeys where trains are late, so I've needed to find out whether I will catch my connection, or change my route - and I need to be able to find a member of staff to do that.  (Travelling home from Lincoln to Hereford was an adventure I'd rather not repeat, even with the help of staff on the way!).  I'm able bodied and at least vaguely compos mentis, and I can find it difficult, so I have every sympathy with the disabled people who are protesting about this.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very easy to buy your tickets with the Trainline App. Should there be a delay, or cancellation, you are kept informed.

Eigon said...

It may well be very easy to buy tickets with the Trainline App, but I will not do it. I want to speak to a real human being, in person, who can give me the information I need, rather than having to guess my way through a website.

Anonymous said...

It may be a good idea to push yourself to learn.

Eigon said...

If I had to, I could do it, but I would prefer to speak to a real human being, who can give advice that I might not know to ask for on a website. And some people don't have the option of "pushing themselves to learn" - they need to talk to a person to buy tickets, or they will not be able to travel at all.

Anonymous said...

There is no guessing needed. It is all very straightforward & the update messages appear at the top of your phone screen. There is no excuse for simply refusing to move forward because one doesnt want change. Also it is far easier for many with disabilities too!

Eigon said...

That's not what disability groups are saying - and you're assuming that everyone has a mobile phone, which is not the case.

Anonymous said...

It's now 2023. It is a recommendation that adults have a mobile phone. Passenger Assist is available via all rail companies. Please allow those with disabilities to be as independent as possible.

Eigon said...

The best way to help people with disabilities to be as independent as possible is to have staff at a manned ticket office to help them. This is what disability groups are campaigning for.
If the ramp onto the train isn't there, or the person who is supposed to assist the blind person to their seat is missing, at the moment help can be accessed from the staff at the ticket office. The possession of a mobile phone doesn't help people to physically get on the train if there are problems.