Sunday 14 September 2008

Crochet history

We missed Emanation on Thursday, who said she'd show us some crochet, but with the aid of the book I got at Huntington Fete (by Marsha A Polk) Sara and I managed to make something.
We got talking about the history of crochet, and I bet it was something that hadn't been invented in the 13thC - so another cool craft that I can't use for Living History - and I said I'd look up the history.

I was right - it's not 13thC, though my hopes were briefly raised when the article I found said that the Old Norse for a hook was krokr. The best guess seems to be that the technique came from China and became popular in Europe in the 18thC - when patterns were printed with the sort of instructions that made the researchers think this was an unfamiliar and new craft to the readers.
So there we have it.

Meanwhile, Silent Voices on Castle Street have just been changing their exhibition - and they now have a painting of a Stitch and Bitch group in their front window!

No comments: