Friday 8 April 2011

Old buildings are fascinating

In one of those meandering conversations that often seem to happen in the mean streets of Hay, I seem to have piqued Phil the Fruit's curiosity. We were talking about Clifford Castle, home of Fair Rosamund who was once the mistress of Henry II, and I happened to mention that no-one knows where the kitchen was - but there must have been one somewhere. Now Phil wants to find a plan of the castle, and is getting fascinated by medieval history.
Meanwhile, Brian has been studying the houses on Heol-y-dwr which were made from a converted Napoleonic grain store, and discovered that the wooden bit on the front, where once a winch took the bags of grain up to the top floor, is called a 'lucum'.
And I got a birthday card with a colourful picture of a cockerel on it, taken from the shop frontage of one of the shops in town. I didn't know which shop - until I was told to look up as I passed Shepherds.

No comments: