Thursday 27 December 2012

Footpath Problems

It occurred to me, as I was pulling my wellies on, that I haven't worn them for at least a year, and I haven't been on a long muddy tramp in the countryside for more than that. It felt a bit strange going out without a dog, though I did meet a friendly sheepdog on Nantyglasdwr Lane.
I was going out to check on one of my favourite little bridges around Hay, after being told that the footpath had been closed temporarily for safety reasons. It's in the little dingle between Black Lion Green and Nantyglasdwr. This is what I found:


The large flat stone in the middle of the stream is the little clapper bridge, and with all the heavy rain the stream has cut a new course around it, leaving it in the middle. The notices at the ends of the footpath said that the closure would only be temporary, so they might be planning to repair the bridge soon.

In the field on the Nantyglasdwr side of the stream, the hedge has been newly laid, and as I walked on, I saw a rainbow in a patch of sunshine along the Wye Valley.

No comments: