Monday 21 February 2022

Avian Flu

 I got a letter I wasn't expecting a couple of days ago - from the UK Chief Veterinary Officer and the Chief Veterinary Officer for Wales!

Apparently, I live in an AI protection or surveillance zone, and they're writing to everyone in the area on the off chance that some people keep chickens in their back gardens  - or other sorts of birds.  They also mentioned pigeons, ducks or geese and game birds.  People who own fewer than 50 birds don't have to register, so if I had been keeping a few chickens they would have no way of knowing.  

I have, in the past, looked after chickens - half a dozen black bantams and a cockerel.  We called all the hens Matilda after real medieval women (Matilda de Braose, Queen Matilda, Empress Matilda, Matilda of Scotland - I don't remember the others) and the cockerel was William de Braose.  But that was many years ago, when I worked for Richard Booth (he also had a pair of peacocks - we called them Darius and Roxanne).  

Because of the outbreak of avian flu, DEFRA needs to know where all the domesticated birds are, so they sent a form to fill in.  People who do not keep birds can also assist, by keeping a lookout for dead wild birds.  They should be reported to the DEFRA helpline on 03459 335577, and there is more information on the website at https://gov.wales/report-and-dispose-dead-birds



No comments: