Monday 20 March 2023

Hay Shantymen at the Globe

 Last night, the Hay Shantymen sang at the Globe to launch their new album, Songs from the Shed.

The event was sold out - I got there at quarter past six for the six thirty start, and the Globe was already pretty full.  I got a seat upstairs on the balcony, so I had a very good view.

I liked the way they incorporated verses about Hay into some of their songs (and saying they were more handsome than Fishermen's Friends!), and talking about Hay being on the East coast of Wales!  

Quite a few of the shanties were unfamiliar to me.  The first one I could sing along to was the Mingulay Boat song.  In the second half, though, they sang some old favourites like Strike the Bell, Second Mate (let us go below), Going Down to Old Maui, the Wellerman, and their final encore, Bound for South Australia.  I also liked the way different members of the group sang the solos for different songs, giving everyone a chance to shine.

They did a brisk trade in CDs after the performance, and also had buckets out for the RNLI, which is their charity.  50% of the profits of the CD will be going to the RNLI.

My CD came this morning (I pre-ordered when I got my ticket), and I'm looking forward to listening to it later.

No comments: