Sunday 12 March 2023

Simple Gifts at the Red Cross

You never know what you'll find when you start browsing in a charity shop.  The other day I was browsing at the Red Cross shop when I noticed an interesting LP.

The title is Simple Gifts, by two folk singers I'd never heard of, but the title track is a mixture of the original Shaker hymn "Tis a gift to be simple" with the more recent hymn with the same tune Lord of the Dance.  I have happy memories of singing Lord of the Dance at junior school - our headmaster was quite keen on modern music at assembly.  The singers are Benjamin Luxon and Bill Crofut.  The picture on the back shows two enthusiastic looking young men with impressive beards.

I know quite a few of the other featured folk songs, too - the Four Loom Weaver was another song we sang at school, as well as The Fox and Johnny I Hardly Knew You.

A bargain for £2! ("Oh, but it's signed on the back!" said the volunteer at the till.  "So that's £200....").


No comments: