Sunday 1 October 2023

The Scandal of the UK Housing Market

 Last night I was invited to a book launch at the Swan.  I was asked not to publicise it in advance, because they could only cater for a limited number of people, but it was a fascinating evening.

The book in question is called The Scandal of the UK Housing Market, and is written by local author Henry Charles Pryor. In it he lays out the roots of the current housing crisis in the UK, and offers some possible solutions.  

I'm particularly interested in the subject, because I was directly affected by the housing crisis last year, when I was subject to a no fault eviction and found it incredibly difficult to find another place to live in Hay.  I was extremely lucky to have been offered the flat where I now live.

Nearly everyone I spoke to last night had stories to tell about the difficulties they had faced with the rental market, both local to Hay and in London, though the problems are widespread across the UK.

I haven't read the book in detail yet, but it's only short - 42 pages - beautifully put together by Seza Eccles under the imprint Silent Impressions.  The author was an estate agent for many years, and has also invented a cricket bowling machine which has been used by the England Cricket Team!

[Edited to add: the first printing is now sold out - a second printing will be available soon!]

No comments: