Tuesday 2 July 2024

Pagan Picnic

 A Facebook page started recently for pagans who are local to the Herefordshire and Worcestershire area.  

Normally, I can't go to meetings, or moots as pagans call them, because they're in the evening and there are no buses (and my broomstick can't fly all the way to Hereford!).  However, the Facebook people organised a picnic on Saturday on Castle Green in Hereford, so I thought I'd like to go along to that.

Little did I know that the picnic was cancelled at the last minute because of the dodgy weather - I was already on the bus.

Going through Herefordshire was interesting, in the run up to the general election.  I saw about 5 Labour posters, and one for Reform on the bus route.

Dorstone was having a Heritage Skills Day, and as the bus drew up by the Pandy, two ladies were setting up a wicker weaving area on the little green.

I didn't go straight to Castle Green when I got into Hereford, either.  It seemed like a good opportunity to find the EE shop and renew my phone contract, since there is no longer an EE shop in Hay (it's now St Michael's Hospice shop).  The young lady I spoke to was very helpful, and even got a slightly cheaper deal for me.

Some pagans (and a couple of cute dogs) had turned up at Castle Green, despite the weather, and it didn't actually rain while we were there.  I'd brought food to share, and we chatted about local history, and archaeology, and pagan meetings and rituals, and it was lovely.  It's a pity more people didn't turn up anyway.  

I also discovered that there is a labyrinth elsewhere on Castle Green, and I think I'd like to go back soon and walk it.

No comments: