Before I start, I'd like to say that the cake making ladies are awesome! I had a delicious blackberry sponge cake before the concert started.
I went into this knowing nothing about Clara and Robert Schumann, and it was such a sad story, beautifully illustrated with piano pieces played by Rosemary Firmin. At one point, she also played the part of Maria, Clara and Robert's oldest daughter, playing for her father.
When Clara's father finally allowed them to marry (they had to bring a law suit to force him!) they had eight children together and seemed to be very happy. He was composing and running a music magazine, and she was a concert pianist who also composed.
Then he became ill, and ended up in an insane asylum, and Clara was left to provide for all the children and pay his medical bills. Sadly, he never recovered, and died, and Clara spent the rest of her life touring, becoming the foremost concert pianist of her age.
The performance was made up of letters and diary entries, as well as linking passages explaining what was happening in their lives, and it was brilliantly well done.
I'm sorry to say that I no longer have the flyer for the performance, so I can't remember the names of the performers, but they were really very good.
No comments:
Post a Comment