Wednesday 17 January 2007

Solicitor Scandal

I was quite shocked when I opened the B&R today (that's the Brecon and Radnor Express, our weekly local paper). Jeremy Langworthy, a local solicitor, has been fiddling his books to the tune of £100,000! Apparently he didn't want to admit that he hadn't been able to negotiate compensation claims properly, so he stole from the accounts of people whose wills he was administering to pay them. It's been going on for seven years, and he's been sent to prison for it.
I knew Jeremy to say hello to when we were both working for the Hay Millennium Society. I was on the Book Committee and he negotiated the contract between the Society and the man who was going to make a film about Hay. I always thought he looked a bit anxious, even then - and the contract turned out to have something wrong with it. I can't remember the details, and I wasn't on the Film committee anyway, but I do remember that the man who made the film ended up pocketting all the proceeds instead of any profits going to the town, because I remember going round to shops, on behalf of the Millennium Society, to try to persuade the shop owners to withdraw the video from sale.