Monday 2 July 2007

Boatside Farm

I took Islay out for her evening walk last night - and when I came through the Craft Centre overlooking the car park, there was a rainbow right across Cusop Dingle. Glorious!
Earlier in the evening I went up the hill to Radnor's End camp site. Just by the entrance there are two big signboards now, advertising the sale of 129 acres of farmland - which I imagine is Boatside Farm. That certainly explains the three people I saw last week on Offa's Dyke path, carrying glossy estate agent's brochures.
It's an interesting area. Not only does it have the River Wye along one edge of it, making it a Site of Special Scientific Interest, but also the Offa's Dyke Path, and a Roman camp just up on the ridge. It was here that the local tribe, the Silures, trashed a Roman legion, early in the Roman invasion of Britain. There's not much information about the battle - the Romans didn't like to talk about it.

No comments: