Sunday 8 July 2007

Hay School had their Fete yesterday - and had pretty good weather for it, too. They had a fancy dress parade from the town clock in the afternoon. I think it must have been a success, because there were still plenty of people in the school grounds at about 9pm.

I was talking to one of the governers of the school. They had an Ofsted inspection recently, and they had to remove any books in the school library that weren't on the approved reading list. I thought that widening the range of children's reading would be a good thing, but obviously not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hay School is in Powys, where the inspection authority is Estyn, and there is no Estyn-approved or nationally-approved reading list in Wales. Individual schools make their own decisions on resources used to help pupils achieve their full potential, and the last report on Hay Primary states that the great majority of KS1 pupils read well, and across KS2 pupils display good reading skills. I'm confused...

Eigon said...

I thought it was odd, too - but that's what the school governer told me.

FloralImages said...

I may be wrong - but when I was "in" the education world I was constantly battling grassroots perceptions that exaggerated the true position. Maybe it is too easy for a story like this to spread from school to school without any real foundation - or maybe I have been out of the loop for too long !