Friday 25 April 2008

Eviction

When I came home for lunch yesterday, I couldn't help but notice the pile of furniture sitting outside my next-door-but-one neighbour's front door.
I'd seen Chris and a friend taking stuff away for the past couple of days, so I knew he was moving out. Now, however, the landlord was there, clearing the house of all the stuff that Chris had left behind. Quite rightly, he wouldn't say why Chris had been asked to leave, but he did say that there were "issues". Chris had been living there for years, so the house will be completely refurbished before it's let out again.
As people passed, the landlord invited them to take whatever they wanted from the pile; it would be less for him to take away himself. I saw Dickie Hebbard walking off with what had once been a rather nice dining chair, that just needed the seat re-upholstering (Dickie is good at that sort of thing). There's still a small wardrobe sitting outside now.

Today I passed Chris's shop, and he was in there as normal, as if nothing had happened.

No comments: