Saturday 25 April 2009

1,000 Bikers

"Have you heard about the thousand bikers?" The lady across the road sounded a bit agitated. Her friend had just phoned her to tell her that a thousand bikers were due to descend on Hay on Saturday for a Biker Wedding!
On reflection, she admitted that her friend might have been exaggerating a bit.
This morning, I thought there must be something to the rumour, though, as police cones were in place all round the Council Chambers (where weddings are also held) and there was a police van there.

I missed all the excitement - I went off to Wonderwool with Tracy, and was very happy to come back with everything I'd planned to get there, and a few extra things like weld and madder, to show children what Viking and medieval dyes look like, and some new flax to spin.

There were a few Harleys and Triumphs parked around town when I came back, and quite a few people wandering round wearing leathers and carrying helmets.
"What about the thousand bikers, then?" I asked in Broad Street.
"Oh, there weren't that many - maybe more like a hundred."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was me that got married, actually. I'd like to offer my thanks to all the good people of Hay who made our club members so welcome, and gave my wife and I a day we shall never forget!

Sincerely

Kev Scrivener
President
Harley-Davidson Riders Club of Great Britain

Eigon said...

Fantastic! And congratulations to you both!