Saturday 18 April 2009

Waste Not, Want Not

The Transition Towns group, along with the County Council and Hay Friends of the Earth, took the Buttermarket today for a variety of stalls on a green theme.
The Council are particularly interested in reducing the amount of rubbish they collect every week - it's costing them a lot of money per tonne over a certain amount just in fines, so they have a serious incentive to try to collect less, and to encourage people to recycle more.
Composting is one solution, for kitchen and garden waste, and they had compost bins there, and a competition to win a compost bin. I went round with my sister, her husband and my little nephew, and one lady got James to pull cards out of a box and then tell her whether the picture on the card was compostable or not. He did quite well for three and a half - but they do have three compost bins at home.
At one end there was a table for kids' art activities, and a video screen showing short films about waste.
I picked up a couple of leaflets for Sustrans, now that I have a new bike (new to me, anyway), to give me an idea of where the local cycle tracks are. I know about the one by the river, but I'm not sure where Route 42 goes after that.
And after the serious business of waste disposal and compost, there was the fun side of recycling, with stained glass products made from old wine and beer bottles, and little windmills made from old tin cans.

No comments: