Saturday 22 August 2009

Folk at the Globe

That's all I knew from the sign - folk sessions starting from around 8.30pm, but I felt like treating myself, so I went along.
It turned out that there was only one folk singer there, Jack Harris - and he was fantastic! In his hands, you could really see what a versatile instrument the guitar is. He sang mostly his own work, with a couple of traditional songs thrown in, and since we're such a literary lot here in Hay, he included two literary songs.
Where does the Brown Bear Go? was based on a children's picture book, and incorporated the entire text of the book into the song! ("Don't worry, it's not a long book.").
For the other literary song, he was asked to take part in a commemoration of Sylvia Plath's life and poetry (a bit different from the picture book!). He thought of doing something terribly literary and obscure and clever - but then he thought that some of Syliva Plath's best poems were about motherhood, so he wrote Sylvia Plath's Lullaby instead.
He comes from Builth, but is living in London at the moment - and I highly recommend going to see him if he's performing. He also has a CD out, Broken Yellow, and a website, www.jackharrismusic.com

1 comment:

Blind Willie McTell said...

I had a listen to three tracks on his MySpace site. What great music! I wish we'd gone to see him at the Globe now.