Friday 13 November 2009

Open Mic Night

I've been meaning to go to one of these for ages - but by the time I've finished work, and walked the dog and had my dinner I usually just want to go to bed! This week, however, my young man came to visit, so it was a good opportunity to take him out on the town.
They have interesting guest ales on at Kilverts now, and we rather liked the Witch's Rocket (can't remember the brewery).
The usual suspects were there in force - Tim the Gardener, Briar and Chris the Bookbinder were among the performers, and the bar was packed. It wasn't just singing to guitars either - there was a chap with a rather wonderful bouzouki with a friend playing something sitar or lute-like. Poetry was read out, among the music, including a eulogy to Biscuit, Athene English's dog who died last week, full of years.
It was also a night for birthdays. Cakes with candles were brought out for Peter and Paul - and when they found out that it was Mark's birthday too, we got a slice of cake each too!
We went out singing - and I unearthed my old song books when we got home, just in case I ever pluck up the courage to perform!

4 comments:

Ed said...

Witch's Rocket is from Mayfields Brewery in North Herefordshire. More details here: http://www.mayfieldsbrewery.co.uk/index_files/Page439.htm

Hope that helps :D

Eigon said...

Thank you - and this is a local brewery I didn't know about, so I'll have to look out for it again!

Ed said...

I'll let you know when we get some more of their beers in then!

Eigon said...

Yes, please!