Monday 4 January 2010

Any News of the Iceberg?

Deep freeze in Hay today - somebody said it might be as cold as -7 degrees.

Outside the Cinema Bookshop there are awnings over the outdoor bookcases. They've been up for some considerable time, and have got saggy in places - and where they've got saggy, they fill with water. Except it wasn't water today; it was solid ice.
So a couple of staff spent half the morning up step ladders hitting the ice with a hammer, and standing underneath the canvas poking it with a broom, in a vain attempt to get rid of the icy weight poised over the heads of innocent customers.
By the time they'd finished, it looked as if the Cinema Bookshop had collided with an iceberg, rather in the manner of the Titanic (except we're not about to sink, I hope!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - it really gets cold there! I do remember, on one of our many visits to Hay, a light sprinkling of snow.
We are hoping to be living there by this time next year and will be looking forward to some solid winter weather, it's always summer at Christmas in our neck of the woods.
Happy New Year - I hope you have a good one.

Eigon said...

I see you're another Terry Pratchett fan, watchthatcheese! Great! And good luck with moving here - I hope you realise that this area is not quite in the Real World!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I have noticed the Other Worldliness, it's part of the attraction, along with so much else.
If I get to live in Hay, I'll die happy.
Hope your staying warm - I see your dog will be!
Cheers