Thursday 14 January 2010

The Wickedness of Printers

It was a quiet day in the shop - we only made one sale, and that was to a member of staff, so didn't really count.
I decided to tidy up the European history shelves, which I'd been ignoring for a while - and found that some of the books were in entirely the wrong place, and the ones that were left would benefit from a bit of re-organisation.
In the middle of this, I came across a book by Erasmus. What did I know about Erasmus - where to put him? Friend of Sir Thomas More, Dutch scholar - what else? I flicked through the text, and came across this gem, where he's in full rant about the evils of printers:
"They fill the world with books, not just trifling things (such as I write, perhaps) but stupid, ignorant, slanderous, raving, irreligious and seditious books, and the number of them is such that even the valuable publications lose their value."
It's enough to make you look nervously around Hay and think that, 400 years on, he may still have a point.

No comments: