Wednesday 26 May 2010

Pleasant Evenings at Kilverts

Saturday was one of those golden, glorious days. I spent the morning in the garden, and the afternoon at the garden party in Cwmbach in aid of street children in Mysore (for more details see the Fairtrade Hay blog). Islay thoroughly enjoyed the garden party - I don't think I saw her for an hour as she went round meeting and greeting like the Queen Mother!
In the evening, I took her out for one last trimble around town, and ran into Tim the Gardener. "Come up to Kilvert's and I'll buy you a glass of wine," he said.
We arrived some time later, Islay being rather slow these days, and I joined Tim and a few others for a pleasant evening of wine and conversation - everything from Robert Graves to elm trees.
And, speaking of elm trees, I ran into Tim again a couple of days later. "Did you mean it when you said you'd like to borrow that book?" he asked. "I know how it is when you're chatting and drinking...."
I said I would be interested, so he said he'd bring it along to Kilvert's that evening to give it to me.
It was Open Mic Night, though there wasn't a mic - we all just sat around at one end of the bar and there was no need for amplification. The lady from the house by the bridge sang some lovely folk songs in Welsh, including Calon Lan, with accompaniment from Arthur's Dad on harmonica, and I followed it up with a comic song about failing at Welsh history. There were a couple of guitar players, too, as well as Tim and his friend Dave on an African drum sitting outside.
So now I have Epitaph for the Elm by Gerald Wilkinson to read - and I'm looking out the words to a few more songs!

No comments: