Thursday 20 May 2010

Yellow Car

And it was bright yellow. You couldn't miss it. Unless you were a big lorry trying to get round the Three Tuns corner from the bridge, in which case it was exactly in the way. When I passed it on my way to lunch, there were two notes under the windscreen wipers saying that the car was parked dangerously and illegally, and that it had already brought Hay to a standstill. The third note under the windscreen wipers was the parking ticket, and the traffic warden was hanging around waiting to talk to the driver.
He was still hanging around an hour later when I walked back up the road, and I was told that the car had been there at least an hour when I first passed it. I noticed one or two people up and down the street who were looking out to see what happened when the driver finally turned up. I know I wasn't the only person who walked past, saw the notes, and said "Oh, Good." Watching lorries, and coaches and tractors with trailers and all the other big vehicles that have to come across the bridge into Hay as they struggle round the corner may be a spectator sport along Broad Street, but it's one where we're all on the side of the lorry drivers and against the selfish, inconsiderate people who park on double yellow lines.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those double yellows aren't JUST double yellow lines. The yellow markings on the curb mean that you can't even pause there or park there even if you are disabled. If only people would read their highway code and use their eyes!

Eddie86 said...

Should have been towed. Mind you, everyone seems to park on double yellows, especially down bear street, and especially on market day.

Eigon said...

Apparently the traffic warden was waiting for the tow truck - which arrived just after the driver of the car got back (I got this from Mary, who saw it all from across the road). The driver claimed he'd lost his keys and had been looking for them - and then miraculously found them in his back pocket! He had to pay £30 for the parking ticket and £120 to the tow truck just for coming out. And he's from Brecon, so you'd think he'd know better.

arthur's Dad said...

Here's my parking grouse . . . A white van (builder's type thing) parked right on the pavement, all four wheels, near the Spar on Castle Street a few times this week. Even I have to squeeze past (folding his mirrors deliberately as I do). I wonder what disabled people, elderly people and blind people such as Ilene would do in the circumstances. Whoever he is deserves a £120 pound fine and a ticket.

P.H. said...

"And he's from Brecon, so you'd think he'd know better."

I normally follow your logic, Eigon, but you've lost me there!

If you can imagine for a second that a lot of drivers are recidivists in these matters, the only 'winners' out there on Thursday were the towing company. I have my eye on that spot of road day in day out, and that's the first time in five years I've seen a tow-truck called. I see car after car parked in the same place, and next to no tickets are issued because there's no warden most of the time.

The traffic warden will be back on Thursday, along with a chum for 10 days or so - and after that we'll return to normal. The next 1,000 drivers to park in the same spot while they go shopping, or whatever it is they do, won't get charged anything. They'll be sublimely unaware that some old cove from Brecon had an expensive day out, while the rest of us can settle back to the constant blowing of horns from angry lorry drivers. Clive Price could start a movement, but it's unlikely - and I might put it in Hay-on-Wire, but I wonder to what benefit.

The best we could do is dispense with the traffic warden. We'd save quite a bit of money, and the congestion would increase by such a small fraction over the present level, it wouldn't really matter. (Incidentally, four people could have lifted that little yellow car so that one half was on the pavement.)

Ed.
Hay-on-Wire.

Eigon said...

PH of Hay-on-Wire - the logic (such as it was) was that, as a local the driver should have known what traffic is like round here in a way that a visitor would not have done.
I completely agree that most idiots who park there get away scot free. Maybe we should start taking registration numbers!