Saturday 6 November 2010

Churches and Shops

I met a lady who goes to Open Door, as I walked through town today. That's the little chapel at the bottom of town, near the vets' surgery. She told me they'll be closing their doors at the end of December for good - though they will be having a Carol Service on the 18th December. They're lovely people, and they've done a lot of good in the town, but it is all run on a voluntary basis, and it's very hard work.
On a happier note, the grand organ in St Mary's Church is almost ready! There will be an organ recital on Sunday 5th December, at 5.30pm (free but ticketed) as part of the Hay Winter Festival.

Meanwhile, rumours abound in Hay about various shops that are (or might be) changing hands. Will Horsewise become an art gallery? Who has bought the Pavement Bookshop (and will it still be a bookshop?) and is Cotswold Collections closing down? One lady I spoke to said: "I hope it is - then they'll have a Closing Down Sale and I might be able to afford one of their alpaca jumpers!"

It looks as if there might be an interesting few months ahead.

1 comment:

Arthur's Dad said...

There will be an organ recital by Father Richard on Thursday 18th November at St. Mary's on the new Bevington organ. Expect to hear some Bach, some Beatles, some Scott Joplin, and some Albinoni. I think it starts at 7.00pm but check the posters around town.