Saturday 20 November 2010

Globe on Fire

"If anyone feels a little bit nervous," said Goffee, through the megaphone, "they can hold the hand of one of the stewards." At that point in the proceedings, the stewards (and the St John's ambulance people and the policeman) outnumbered the marchers in the parade from the Market Square to the Globe. There were, however, two girls from the Ukraine, and one from Germany, who had made lanterns to carry, and later some children arrived with lanterns that they had made in the workshops at the Globe.
Rob Soldat, in swirling cloak, led us through the streets, and we picked up marchers on the way. "This is Lion Street - watch out for the Lion!" he cried. By the time we got to the Globe, the Japanese drums were throbbing in the background and there was a queue to get in.
I just went along for the fun of the procession (I don't get that many opportunities to wear my Goth dress and cloak), so I didn't go in to see the show. I didn't want to go home straight away, though, so I went up to Kilvert's for a half of Brewdog's Trashy Blond before I carried my little candle lantern home.

No comments: