Monday 9 July 2012

Beer in the Wye!

I went to the beer festival in Hereford on Saturday, in a marquee next to the rowing club. Or, at least, it was supposed to be in the marquee. In fact, the ground inside was so churned up after the Friday that no-one was allowed in. There was a table set up outside, and you had to choose your beer from the list and wait for the volunteers to pick their way across the mud to the barrels to bring it back for you. Fortunately, the afternoon was fine, so it was okay to sit out at the tables - while watching the level of the river cautiously. Someone said it was twelve and a half feet higher than normal:


I was sticking to the dark beers - apart from Thornbridge's Jaipur, because if that's available you've really got to have a glass! I very much liked the Orkney Dark Island, Beowulf Dark Raven, Coastal Merry Maidens Mild and Titanic Lifeboat (the name seemed somehow appropriate!), but I'm afraid I had to pour the Saxon City Dubonni mild away into the grass - not to my taste at all.

Sadly, they had to cancel the Sunday session altogether.

No comments: