Monday 16 July 2012

Hereford Historical Day

On Saturday, I went into Hereford, in full medieval costume, to the Historical Day. Our camp was on the Castle Green, and it was pleasing to see more groups there than last year - and more members of the public, too. In fact, I had a wonderful time, demonstrating weaving, along with another member of Drudion, and lucetting, which is a medieval craft for making cords and bootlaces and so on. The food, cooked over the open fire, was delicious - lots of sausages and liver and sweetbreads and other fried meats, and a couple of fresh rainbow trout.
Apart from the three medieval groups, there was one Romano-Celtic (with Celtic warrior painted blue, who bravely remained shirtless all day), one tent filled with a family of jesters, the Sealed Knot, including one rather fine artist and a craftswoman making braid to go round 17th century hats. I didn't get as far as the main field, where I'm told there was a World War Two assault course amongst other things - that was where the skirmishes were taking place, too - you could hear the Sealed Knot cannons and drums!
We were lucky with the weather - it didn't start raining until about three o'clock.
On the grass outside the Cathedral, I met a friend from the library, giving leaflets out about the storyteller. Cat Weatherill was there, who is a wonderful storyteller.
And just round the back of the Cathedral was the Herefordshire trow, which was one of the thousand boats which sailed down the Thames for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee recently.


On the way back to the bus, I went through the main square, and got my first look at the new statue of a Hereford bull by the Old House. I think it looks splendid - but I didn't have time to stop and take a photo (and besides, it was raining quite heavily by then, and me in just my medieval velvet cloak which is only shower proof!)
I've already got my name down for next year, when it's possible the event will be spread over two days.

No comments: