Wednesday 11 July 2012

Housing Need

One of the local issues at the moment is the availability of social housing for local people. I've been very lucky with my rented house, but there are others who aren't so fortunate.
At the Hay Together meeting, I was passed some figures, and here they are:

For one bedroom properties, there are two in stock (from the Council) but 33 people waiting for a place.
For two bedroom properties, there are 9 in stock, and 33 people waiting.
For three bedroom properties, there are 44 in stock, and 15 families waiting.
For four bedroom properties, there are 8 in stock, and 10 families waiting.

So the need is there, and the housing developments in recent years haven't really addressed the need - they've been aimed more at the higher end of the market.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you say the council have 44no 3 bedroom houses in stock with 15 families waiting, I assume you mean that they own 44 houses in total with 15 families on a waiting list for any that become vacant. Otherwise,with my understanding of "in stock"( ie when shopping, goods that are marked as "in stock",means you can obtain immediately),then there would be a surplus of 3 bedroom houses available!
Also,do these figures take into account Carlsgate,which I believe is run by a housing association?

Eigon said...

Good question about Carlsgate - I don't know if that's included. I'll have to find out. And my understanding is that the houses are all occupied and the families are on a waiting list.