Sunday 29 July 2012

Lazy Saturday

I ambled down to the school in the morning for the car boot sale - and some serious temptations! I really, really wanted the Second World War ladies tin hat (which can be adapted very easily into a Wars of the Roses helmet), and the cavalry sabre was gorgeous - but when would I use it?
Instead, I sensibly bought a little pan, and a tankard (I'm getting quite a collection of pewter-like tankards) and a little wooden scoop. But if I see that sabre again, I might not be able to restrain myself!

In the afternoon, I celebrated putting a new story up on Smashwords by going to Kilverts for a quiet half of Columb-O.
This is a free short story called Ice Magic, and can be found here:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/209213
It's an origin story for Ytir, my fantasy world, describing some of the first wielders of magic at the end of the Ice Age.
While I was in Kilverts, the Olympic archery was on the big screen - Italy vs. USA, with Italy just ahead. It was hard to see what distance they were shooting over, since the camera angles showed the archers and the targets, but not both in the same shot. Near the bar, a man with waist length blond hair was talking knowledgeably about the differences between compound bows and longbows, with actions.
I have to admit that I would have loved to see a scruffy medieval peasant stroll up and wipe the floor with the Olympic teams!

I do seem to have this fixation with medieval weaponry, don't I?

No comments: