Monday 11 March 2013

Cattle Market and the Blue Boar Memories

"Do you remember who wrote Pookie?" the lady asked. I didn't, though I knew about the little rabbit with wings from an old series of picture books. I looked it up - of course! It was Ivy Wallace! The lady knew her daughter, who had recently written a novel about the model factories of New Lanark in the early Industrial Revolution.
They had lived in Scotland for some time, but the lady's husband came from somewhere near Hay.
"I used to come here years ago, with my uncle," he said. "We came to the cattle market, and my job was to run between the rings and the auctioneer with the slips."
They asked about places to have coffee, and eventually decided on the Blue Boar. I told them that Ivy Wallace had once been in the Blue Boar, to make a little film. If anyone remembers the old advert about Fly Fishing by JR Hartley (and the chap enquiring turns out to be JR Hartley himself) - that's what they were doing, only with Pookie and Ivy Wallace. She sat by the fireplace in the side of the bar that is set up for food, pretending this was her own home - I remember peering in through the window to see the filming taking place.
"The landlord of the Blue Boar used to buy meat from my uncle," said the man. "And my uncle would always tell him to keep a steak aside for him when he came in." He held up his fingers about an inch apart to show how thick the steaks had been.

No comments: