Tuesday 26 March 2013

Food, Glorious Food!

While my Young Man was here, we managed to eat out quite a bit, and thoroughly enjoyed the treats.
For the first time in eight years, we went into the Granary, where we both devoured their all day breakfast when he first arrived. Later we went back for coffee and cakes, which were also yummy.
On the Monday, we were invited to Red Indigo by friends, and encouraged to stuff ourselves with gorgeous Indian food - and when Eklim the manager discovered it was my birthday, he insisted on giving me a free liqueur coffee (with Tia Maria, because that was what I had on my first Grown Up Meal Out when I was eighteen, while watching the planes come in to land at Manchester Airport).
We also sampled a sausage roll from the Wholefood shop. Forget the limp, miserable specimens you see in Greggs and the like - this was meaty and tasty and the pastry wasn't greasy - absolutely delicious with a couple of their samosas.
We bought flat breads and spread them with Trealy Farm cured meat and Ragstone goat's cheese (also from the Wholefood shop), with a topping of Hereford Hop cheese for a lunch time snack.
On the Tuesday, we walked up to the other end of town to try the Yakmobile - and their Mountain Lamb curry was delicious, and so was the Gurkha's Delight.
On another evening, we went over to the chippy (the Young Man was craving fish cakes).
On Thursday, we bought focaccia from the lovely chap on the market by the clock tower, which we cut up into small slices for our Pirate Party the following evening, and we also treated ourselves to possibly the best hot cross buns I have ever tasted, from Kate the Bread in the Buttermarket.
Normally when the Young Man comes to Hay, he buys lots of sausages from Gibbons' butchers. This time, we almost ran out of time, but we did manage to squeeze in some Welsh Dragon sausages with local free range eggs before he had to go home.
I had promised him a meal at Tomatitos, but we ran out of time.
"If I lived here full time, I'd be three times my size," he said cheerfully.

2 comments:

Andrew Williams said...

Went to the Yakmobile last night on your previous recommendation - amazing! We will be back.

Captain Flint said...

You're right about Kate the Bread's hot cross buns. The best I have ever eaten.