Monday 27 May 2013

More Around Town

Today I dressed for summer - so of course, the temperature plummeted!
That's why I didn't linger in the tents around the Globe, where lots of food and drink was going on, along with local musicians and poets performing. In other tents, and inside the main building, talks were going on.
One of the cosiest places in Hay today must have been the Salem Gallery, where Richard Greatrex (and his little grey dog) was exhibiting his photos. There were three groups of pictures, one based around the film Resistance, from the novel by Owen Sheers and set in the Olchon Valley near Hay, one of Cuba, and one of Catalonia (including a quite surreal image of a picture within a picture, with a man about to dive into the sea in one, and actually diving in the bigger picture surrounding it). There was also a warm fire, a cup of coffee, and comfy seating.
In the Buttermarket was the CD and record fair - I picked up a couple of nice folk albums, though most of the music seemed to be rock, and punk and indie. I've done well with musical purchases this weekend - yesterday I saw Alan Cooper and his friend Simon Newcombe busking (Alan plays the fiddle beautifully, and Simon plays guitar), and I bought their new CD, Street, which has some original compositions, and some arrangements of traditional tunes. When I see them again, I'll get the other CD that was on offer, of Alan Cooper and several friends playing together, but they are also available from danbycoop@aol.com. They quite often play at open mic nights at the Globe.

I feel sorry for the people who are camping tonight!

No comments: